Figure your square footage.
Calculating your square footage is very easy! Grab a measuring tape and follow these four steps.
- Measure the length of your room with a tape measure. Jot this measurement down on a piece of paper.
- Measure the width of your room and jot it down too.
- Multiply the these two numbers. (See example at right.)
- This is your square footage!
Run into a snag? Here are some helpful hints...
- Split complex shapes into simple squares or rectangles. Calculate them as separate areas and then add all of them together.
- If your measurements aren't in exact feet, you can convert measurements of feet and inches to just inches, then multiply the two dimensions. After you have found the area in square inches, you can divide this number by 144 to get the square footage.
- Double-check your measurements before multiplying.